Council Administrative Offices | 215.345.6644 -- Information, Intervention, Recovery Support Line | 1.800.221.6333
• The promotion of constructive lifestyles and norms that discourage drug use.
• Prevention is achieved through the application of multiple strategies; it is an ongoing process that must relate to each emerging generation.
• Belief that drugs are not harmful
• Belief that drugs alleviate the symptoms of depression
• As an attempt to cope with traumatic experiences, for example, childhood sexual abuse or school failure
• Sensation-seeking behavior
• Substance use by family members
• Peer pressure
• Community norms
• Exposure to pro-use message in mass media
• Access and availability
• Raise awareness of the dangers of drug use and the benefits of constructive behavior.
• Promote good parenting skills and strengthen the family as the first defense against drug abuse.
• Provide mentoring and positive role modeling for youth. Build social skills to enable the development of strong self-image that leads to positive life decisions.
• Mobilize communities to establish environments enhancing positive personal development.
• Strengthen and support policies that promote healthy lifestyles and change community norms.
Advocacy | Prevention | Information Dissemination & Training | Intervention | Recovery Support