Council Administrative Offices | 215.345.6644 -- Information, Intervention, Recovery Support Line | 1.800.221.6333
Anger Management for people with Substance Use Disorders is a critical skill set necessary to preventing a relapse to active addiction. Our Anger Management Program is designed for individuals who are in recovery from a substance use disorder and are having difficulties in the areas of employment, family/personal relationships and social situations. Dealing with the challenges of life can be frustrating and stressful, which can lead to feelings of anger. Anger can quickly escalate to hostile, and sometimes violent, behaviors. Left unmanaged, anger can often result in a person returning to the abuse of and/or dependence on addictive substances…. and this just worsens the problem.
The Good News… We have a solution! Effective Anger Management will help eliminate the behaviors associated with unresolved feelings, by replacing old/bad habits with new/healthy choices. You will learn to…
• manage anger effectively.
• develop self-control over your thoughts and actions.
• eliminate violence or the threat of violence.
• ask for help and receive support from others.
• Identify Events & Cues… What are your triggers?
• Develop an Anger Control Plan, as part of an overall Recovery Plan
• The Aggression Cycle – What it is & what it isn’t
• Learning your A-B-C’s
• Assertiveness as a method of Conflict Resolution
• Anger and the Family – Relationships matter!
• Effective Decision Making – Being Proactive!
The Anger Management Program is based on cognitive behavioral therapy model (CBT), which identifies for participants each incident of anger, improve skills on how to manage anger, and learn more appropriate ways to express those feelings. Disrupting the aggression cycle is a means of intervention. The treatment model is a combined CBT approach that employs relaxation, cognitive, and communication skills interventions.
Advocacy | Prevention | Information Dissemination & Training | Intervention | Recovery Support