Council Administrative Offices | 215.345.6644 -- Information, Intervention, Recovery Support Line | 1.800.221.6333

Frequently Asked Questions

I don’t have insurance – can I still get treatment?

The short answer is yes. Each county in Southeastern Pennsylvania has specific procedures to apply for assistance with substance abuse treatment. Some treatment facilities will provide scholarships. Other treatment facilities may offer a sliding-fee or low-cost option. In addition to formal treatment, one can take advantage of free-of-charge recovery support and mutual support groups.

I am concerned about a friend or family member’s use of alcohol or other drugs. What can I do?

Our Information Specialists can help you access resources for your loved one, but also will assist you in getting the support you need. We provide links to community programs specifically designed for family members and other loved ones, as well as ongoing support and options for you to consider. The PRO-ACT Family Education Program is held each month in 8 different locations throughout the region. Call the Information Line to learn more and sign up.

My insurance company says they won’t pay for the treatment I believe I need. Is there anything I can do?

Pennsylvania law Act 106 mandates that group insurance policies based out of Pennsylvania cover minimum treatment for substance use disorders. The Information Line can assist in determining if your policy is covered by this law.

What types of groups exist to help me sustain recovery?

The recovery community in Southeast Pennsylvania is vibrant and thriving! Mutual aide groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, Women for Sobriety and more hold meetings throughout the region. The Council of Southeast Pennsylvania and PRO-ACT sponsor three recovery community centers and a training center in the region where you can access peer-based recovery support services.


Advocacy |  Prevention  |  Information Dissemination & Training  |  Intervention |  Recovery Support